Initially I had Airtel Broadband connection with Wired Modem (Beetel 220BXI). AT that time I had 2 PCs. Later when I got my Dell Lappy, I asked Airtel to get me a WiFi Modem. They had two options, either purchase or take it on rent. I purchased it. So I had another Modem, Beetel 450BXI.
Some time back, I removed Airtel and got BSNL broadband connection, and they gave one Wired Modem UT300RTU. I had asked to BSNL Technical person who had connected this modem in my house about my existing Beetel Modem, He said, he needs to change the Firmware (?) and which can be done by written application only. [Believe me, to change my Broadband Plan, I had to visit BSNL office and submit an application for that, whereas with Airtel, it was just one call to customer care]
Well, after few days, I thought, lets try to configure WiFi Modem. It was so simple.. below was the steps ..
1. Connected The BSNL Line cable to 450BXI, and connected network cable from port1 (This modem has 4 ports) to my Laptop.
2. In Browser, Open 192.168.1.1 [Catch, BSNL default credentials are admin/admin, whereas Airtel has admin/password, and I had to use admin/password]
3. Click Advanced Setup -> WAN. Delete all the rows by selecting all Remove option and clicking Remove.
4. Click Add. Enter VPI=0, VCI=35. Service Category= UBR Without PCR Click Next.
5. Connection Type : PPPoE, Encapsulation: LLC/SNAP , Click Next ..
6. PPP username= hk80XXXXXXXX@bsnl.in [80 is Bangalore STD code, and XX is my landline number], Please ask to Customer Care for ur username, But ideally, It should be same. Password is password. Service Name = DataOne . Authentication Method = AUTO MTU=1492 , Nothing else to select. Click next
7. You may/may not Enable Firewall. Enable NAT. Enable WAN Service. and service name = pppoe_35_1 Click Next. Save.
8. Now in Left side pane, Click Wireless. Select Basic. Check Enable Wireless only. Give SSID name as your name or something [When ur wifi device will search, u will see this name listed as available wiFi network.] Country India. Max Client 16 or less. Do not check Enable Wireless Guest Network. Click Save/Apply.
9. Click Wireless->Security. SSID=as mentioned above. Network Authentication=Open. WEP encrytion=Enabled. Strength=64 bit. Current network key=1 Network Key 1= Your Password. This will be asked, If u try to connect to this Network using ur WiFi Device. Save/Apply
10. Click Advanced Setup. Click Save/Reboot.
That's it !!! .. Now after Modem Reboot, You will be able to use WiFi.
It worked for me, and I thought to share this with world Hope this works for you as well..
Also, I believe, the default firmware supplied with any Modem should work with any Broadband service provider. Only their configurations are bit different.
Keep Spreading Unconditional Love !!!